Thursday, October 12, 2006

Win the losing Game

Chess is one of the games which captivate me all the time. When I learnt chess from my dad, I actually learnt the philosophy of life.

Learning chess is very interesting for a child and teaching a child requires a lot of patience. If I had played some silly move, my dad used to show me the mistake. And I used to withdraw my wrong step and go for another move. Slowly, I starting thinking alternative paths, looking ahead about 4-5 steps before I decide on any move.

But can you imagine the reason how we keep on playing the game even though we lose the game? The answer may be by making ourselves aware that no game can be won with out learning properly and adequate practice. That's great.

When ever I lose the game I had two options. One is playing the game again and again, waiting for my turn to win. Another option is to just leave the game which makes me defeated every time I play.Dad used to motivate me saying "You need just a little bit of practice." But being a child can I understand that? Can I enjoy the game losing it? When I play the chess, the mission of my life is to trap and kill the opponent’s pieces one by one ruthlessly and win the game. But when I play with my dad who is a very good player, how can I win the game?

Of course I get motivated after listening to my dad saying that we can't win the game just by knowing it or by playing few times. Even then losing the game continuously (and that too by good players who don't make mistakes so often) makes some of us get bored. So, how to carry on the motivation to try forever with out quitting?

My dad had the great timeless answer for it. In the middle of the game, he used to just exchange the sides. He takes my king's army which is in a very weak position and I am offered his powerful strong one. It’s Very Simple. Hey, it's also not an easy task to be in the strong side. I used to lose all my army before winning the game. But gradually it made me to learn how to play the winning game and finally the game itself.

With the course of time, I learnt to take his weak position and offer him my winning army. And then there had the real struggle, how to win over the strong army with my new weaker one? I realized the way to master the game. Win the game when I was actually in a state of losing! I enjoyed the both, victory (sometimes) and even defeat.

The question "Can we enjoy the game when we are losing it?" now has a positive response from me. I enjoyed the defeat. And it's surprising to see me to enjoy getting beaten.

And the question “Being a child, can I understand that to win we need practice?” seems wrong to me. Actually a child won’t care whether he loses or not, but in adults their ever growing ego does. Adults must understand this simple fact and must continue child like eargerness to learn.

No comments:

Past, Present and Future - All are abstract.