Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Marketing by Techy geek (Part-1)

"Who is going to help me now? How can I accomplish this? All that I know in my life is to sit in front my computer, building applications, debugging the expensive bugs, playing games and maintaining nice relationship with my boss and colleagues. To accomplish my goals I attended this workshop. The Result - "

"I am a typical techy guy who likes to learn business leadership skills. I read some books, listened to some speeches. But this time I came here to this workshop to know more details", I introduced to the enthusiastic audience. After listening to a number of leadership qualities, marketing lecture started. Listening to the stories, marketing strategies like "22 immutable laws of marketing" I had different views to various tips that are being discussed. To some points my expression was - "Wow! Fantastic! I had never thought in that fashion", to some aspects I whispered to my colleague - "Any one knows that, very simple", and to some tips I thought - "That's all crap". Finally I felt satisfied feeling that I learned valuable lessons in that informative workshop.

At the end of the workshop, to my surprise I was given 25 tickets for a cultural concert and I had to sell them with in 10 days using the imparted knowledge and own marketing skills. Thinking about the future how to sell them I boarded a bus. All my thoughts like were disturbing my peace of mind - “How can I do that? What did these people teach me? When they were babbling all the nonsense I clapped enthusiastically, now I understand that they just reproduced what I can read in the books. Waste of time and money.”

In the bus I started talking to my fellow passenger and then unknowingly told about the event and ticket fare. He almost got irritated thinking of me as a sales person who wants to pester him. He gave me a serious glance. Immediately I told him, “I am just informing you, not making you buy” and got down from the bus with out talking anything more.

Then after some time I started calculations. I can sell 4 tickets to my family including myself, may be around 10 to12 tickets to my friends and colleagues. And remaining 9 tickets? Hey, I never did this job. It seems difficult. After a little bit of time I soothed and motivated myself - "It's okay Arun, You can do. You know a lot of friends and their friends too. Be cool, you can do. Don't you remember just one week back your manager praised you in presence of all that every body likes Arun and all think that Arun has the capability of making even big things happen.” Now, I got the confidence.

No comments:

Past, Present and Future - All are abstract.