Ayurveda is the ancient treasure by the Indian Sages (Agasthya, Charaka, Sushrutha, Vagbhatta etc.) to the whole world. The balance of thridoshas - Vaatam(Air & Space), Pitta(Fire), Kapha (Water and Earth) should be there in the living being. The imbalance in these elements in the body causes diseases. The ayurvedic physician just finds out the missing elements and makes the patient to take those substances from the nature in the suitable form. The herbs, trees, oils, different types of mud, mineral stones (Navaratna -Diamond, Ruby, sapphire, carbuncle etc.) are some of the raw materials for Ayurveda. On the face of them, some are poisonous but when processed as prescribed according to Ayurveda, they become life saving medicines. Ayurveda can cure most of the diseases, even what Allopathy can't. Ayurveda always has the hope to cure till the last breath of life.
I watched a documentary on Ayurveda. Some great excerpts from the documentary:
- We are never sick. We tell to our mind: Don't fall sick. So we never fall sick. Simple! - A man's words during Dr. Nocolos Kostopolous visit to Rajasthan.
- Why Ayurveda is so fascinating because it says; Ayurveda is not only the science of medicine. Ayurveda is the art of living, how to live. And Ayurveda is the art of being- Dr. Nocolos Kostopoulos,
- In those days Gurus taught us that, if the science is followed for money, it is wasted. Wealth earned from medical sciences is always contaminated, as it comes from the sufferings of others, thus it must be practiced with compassion and humility - Brahmanand Swamigal, an Ayurvedic Physician from Tamilnadu.
- Even Saraswathi, the Goddess of Learning continues to learn! We must have a honest quest for knowledge - Brahmanand Swamigal.
- It’s all free. Why should I go and do anything for the sake of money?By God's grace, I have got enough land for agriculture and I am not greedy. Desire is the root cause of all evils. I can earn a lot of money. But there is an ethical way to practice this knowledge. Desire is the root cause of all evils- Vaidya Narayan Murthy, an Ayurvedic Physician from Karnataka.
- The deforestation is the serious problem for me and that is why I am striving to save these plants. For the next generation we have to save these herbs. That is the only desire and nothing more. I am content-Vaidya Narayan Murthy
Our culture values the doctors by giving the highest status in our society. In this holy land, patients view (worship) the doctors as living form of God. And doctors like Swamigal, Narayan Murthy and so on deserve the status.
But the modern artificial life style and ignorance of ethical and moral values is a deleterious effect on the life. One should understand that Medical Science is not for a commercial purpose and is to improve mind and body.
These days we are very much interested in following the west and we are crazy about it. Even the western world wants to know this great traditional knowledge. So at least even in that sense let’s spread the greatness of Ayurveda.
I hope some time in the near future we genuinely understand the greatness of Ayurveda, the science of life and incorporate in our lives. I want this message to be known to large number of people. Please try to convey this to many more as much as you can.
Note: If there is any copyright on any part of the documentary then please inform me so that I will remove it. I just want to reproduce the excerpts with out changing the exact words.